So here are my Allegheny College pictures that I took from my phone (iPhoneography wooooooo), so sorry in advance that some of them are weirdly dark. I thought I would take this post as an opportunity to tell you a little bit about the place where I spent four years of my life :]
- Allegheny College is one of the top 1% oldest schools in the US, having been founded in 1815. I know that’s not very old by, say, European standards, but hey. I think it’s cool :]
- Allegheny was also one of the very first schools in the US to accept women. I recently learned that we were exactly 100 years before UVA, which didn’t start accepting until 1970 (so crazy!). That also means that some of our sororities (mine included hehe) are some of the oldest chapters in the country (which is why Kappa Kappa Gamma is not technically a sorority but a “women’s fraternity,” because it was founded before there was such a term as sorority.).
- Allegheny was ranked #20 Most Rigorous University in the US by Daily Beast, as well as #1 Up-And-Coming Liberal Arts College by US Weekly.
- Allegheny is the only university on earth to have expelled a US president! William McKinley, our 25th president, attended Allegheny for only one year before he was expelled for bringing a cow up into the bell tower of the main campus building! For those of you that don’t know, cows can only walk up stairs, not down…hence the prank. Who knows how much of that is actually true, but it is definitely a legend that we enjoy perpetuating :]
- The term “wind-chill” was coined by an Allegheny alum. We like to think that it’s because of the crazy winters you get there! Story about that…one time I had to walk across campus and forgot gloves. By the time I met up with my friend on the other side (a five minute walk), my hands were so cold I put out her cigarette with my finger by mistake…and I didn’t feel it at all!
These are two of the main buildings on campus. The one on the left is Bentley Hall, the first building of the school! That tower is where McKinley supposedly brought the cow. The building on the right is Brooks Hall, which is mostly a dorm but also the biggest dining hall on the ground floor. See those windows coming out of the roof? Two of them (directly to the right of the big white triangle) are windows to the room in which I lived my sophomore year :]
This is where I learned French :]
I am hoping SO MUCH that my little brother goes here too! It’s in his top three choices so fingers crossed. It sure is beautiful, isn’t it?